Prior to this year I don’t think I’ve ever had the capability to listen to so much new music in a short amount of time. My pickiness had only allowed maybe two or three rigorously listened new albums per year, which was why I steered away from doing “best of” posts and are usually at least a year late to join in the bandwagon. Compared to other people’s lists this is a relatively small one, but for those of you with a pop edge, I can't recommend these records enough.
(In order from most favourite)
1. Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long, See You Tomorrow
Bombay Bicycle Club has progressed beautifully over the years despite the short time it took between each album release. Although So Long, See You Tomorrow took the longest, they managed to produce high-quality and innovative tracks, which some bands fail to do in a longer period of time.
2. Mac DeMarco - Salad Days
Although Salad Days doesn’t catch you off guard at first listen, it will grow on you as each layer peels off and the feeling of appreciation kicks in - next thing you know you view Mac DeMarco as the king of pepperoni playboys (which he is). Although, I must admit that the second half of the album is where he truly shines. With this release he has shown a different shade of himself that is personally more likeable because of the toned down personality which, I guess, happens when you continue to grow up. So despite embodying the personality of a man child, Mac DeMarco has shown his true potential as a respectable songwriter.
3. Warpaint - Warpaint
At first listen, Warpaint’s never-ending bland songs made the record felt disappointing. It took the girls a long drive to Toronto to show me how and why this record should be appreciated. As their live performance breaks down and emphasizes each hidden layer, their new dynamic is something I’ve come to genuinely enjoy. Finding these hidden grooves has been a journey in itself, and this might be taken as evidence of Warpaint’s talent in songwriting or lack-thereof, though I choose the latter.
4. Real Estate - Atlas
Atlas is a good continuation for Real Estate as they expand their sound with jazzier guitar melodies, which seems to be a natural progression for them. Like any of their previous records, there are tunes that you'll hook onto, but unfortunately the album didn't surprise me and I wish it did. Even though Atlas doesn't end on a high note, Real Estate have succeeded in maintaining their incomparable signature sound.
Click to read the full review (p. 25)
5. Yumi Zouma - EP
Although faint vocals is personally a tricky element to get into, I listened to this EP like a rash. Surprisingly, Yumi Zouma uses an (arguabl) standard set-up and produced a sound that's not entirely new to the table, yet they succeeded in setting themselves apart in the crowd - I guess this is where true talent lays. Their consistency in quality should be something to look forward to if a full-length LP is in their mind. Yumi Zouma has converted me into liking everything I despised two years ago - a pale voice and light-handed instrumentals - so that should mean something, right?
Click to read the full review
Honourable Mentions
BADBADNOTGOOD - III
Alvvays - Alvvays
The Drowners - The Drowners
Ought - More Than Any Other Day
Honourable Mentions
BADBADNOTGOOD - III
Alvvays - Alvvays
The Drowners - The Drowners
Ought - More Than Any Other Day
