Friday, June 13, 2014

Yumi Zouma 'EP' Review


If you're ever looking for an album, or I guess I should say, EP, with the chillest summer vibe, this is it. There's not a lot out there about the people behind Yumi Zouma. All I could gather is that they are friends from New Zealand who are currently living between New York and Paris. But I do know that they caused a mini explosion around the music blogosophere when their EP came out in February - to an extent where even Wild Nothing remixed one of their songs (and frankly, this was how I knew them). 

The 4-track EP opens with "A Long Walk Home For Parted Lovers", which in hindsight reminisces an '80s cheesy pop song with the discotheque drum beat and retro synths, yet it takes a turn for the best as the song transforms into a dreamy yet danceable tune that is hard not to like. Yumi Zouma has probably created the best road trip songs; you can easily picture yourself driving through beautiful landscapes with "Salka Gets Her Hopes Up" in the background and a cool drink on hand. Following these light, fluid tunes there is the more indie-pop shade with "The Brae", which is apparently their most popular song according to Soundcloud. Imagine a way more muted version of Wild Nothing with a female voice instead. Finishing off with "Riquelme" that plays along a similar palette but with heavier synths, the band ends the EP with a rougher edge to show a bit of variety in their music-making. 


Although faint vocals is personally a tricky element to get into, I listened to this EP like a rash. And surprisingly, Yumi Zouma used an arguably standard set up and produced a sound that's not entirely new to the table, yet they succeeded in setting themselves apart in the crowd - I guess this is where true talent lays. Their consistency in quality should be something to be excited about if a full-length LP is in their mind. Yumi Zouma has converted me into liking everything I despised two years ago - a pale voice and light-handed instrumentals - so that should mean something, right?