The Real Estate gig took place on August 12, 2012 at 9:30 Club in Washington D.C. Judging from the venue's website, I assumed that the area and venue itself were safe. Moreover, Bombay Bicycle Club tweeted that 9:30 Club was "the best venue ever". As a huge fan of the band, I believe in everything they say. Yet my cousin told me that it was a "ghetto" area due to a number of dangerous occurrences in the past. In fact, when we were on our way, her friend pointed to a spot where a shooting happened a few months ago. Shit.
As we got to the venue, my cousin and I went to Will Call to get our tickets. The person rudely told us that he needed to see my ID, yet I've brought him all the identification they needed to exchange the tickets! I mean, dude, it's just tickets. To see Real Estate. In a not-so-safe neighbourhood. To cut the story short, we got the tickets and my cousin started calling him a dick in the car.
We were there pretty early, hoping to get a good spot because apparently it's almost sold out - and we did, sort of. Walking to the club's entrance, I spotted the band smoking beside their van (and that was the first time ever where I was all "oh, that might be their van!" and was right). So I asked whether I could get a picture with them and they sounded pretty uncertain. The next thing I know, the rest of the band went to a different spot to smoke and Matt stayed for the picture. (SHIT IT WAS SO AWKWARD I CAN'T EVEN-). I wanted to chat with them for a while, telling them to visit Indonesia in the future because a great deal of people like them, but Matt joined his buds straight after the picture was taken. I swear, I couldn't see his face without feeling super embarrassed throughout the whole gig. It was WAY WAY worse than the TDCC press conference.
Because they were so awkward, I began thinking that they weren't Real Estate and I just made a complete fool of myself in front of a number of intimidating people, and that I just took a picture with a random person. But I was re-assured when I saw them on stage. Cool.
They were really great live. They're better live than on the album. Although there were technical difficulties, they were still amazing. The instrumentals just set you right into the vibe and mood. "Kinder Blumen" live - oh my god. It made me want to cover the song even more. "Municipality", my favourite song, was sososoososo good. When it came to "It's Real" I couldn't stop smiling and giggling. I just thought "Real Estate wouldn't be proud if they hear my band's cover of this song". What made it even more awkward for me was when Matt played the little riff in the chorus because I play that part in the band.
The crowd was a bit 'eh'. I kept comparing them to the crowd back home. People on my side danced most of the time, but none of them sang along, even during their most popular songs. In Jakarta, the crowd would at least sing along to the chorus of "It's Real". I did, because I thought people were finally singing along. Turns out it was just the sound of 2 backing vocals which made it sound more festive. Sigh. Hipsters.
The stage setting was really wonderful. It fits perfectly with the band's music. It made me feel like we were at someone's back garden and that it was all about the music. It might sound cheesy but I will stand by it.
About the opening act, R. Stevie Moore, all I have to say is: he may look about 1000 years old but his music is actually really catchy. (Note to Rabbit: He's old and has a super long beard, so I guess he's your type. He wore space pajama pants and rolled on the floor. Yeah, he's your type.)
It was a great gig, but not the best.
Note to self: You have to see Foals at 9:30 Club.
