Sunday, September 4, 2011

WEARESCIENTISTS X BLOODREDSHOES

JAVA ROCKIN' LAND
22nd July, 2011
Carnaval Beach, Ancol


Keith Murray, We Are Scientists
Sorry for the low quality photo. This was the clearest one I took.

We Are Scientists - what could've been better? Keith Murray's peculiar American accent which left us in awe? Their witty jokes? The accuracy of their sound live compared to their albums? We Are Scientists were highly enjoyable to watch and dance to -- though that's not what the audience thought. The uplifting atmosphere from the band was almost destroyed by the enormous amount of still life youngsters who were waiting for 30 Seconds To Mars. Trying to break away from them, my friends and I tried to dance it away, which was disrupted by a group of men mocking their songs. We've been waiting for this concert since 4 years ago, it seemed highly necessary to at least say shut the fuck up. Uhm. But the band was utterly delightful, and the wait was definitely payed off. Not to mention the 20 songs setlist - I didn't even believe it at first!


I've also gotten the chance to talk to Keith and Chris of We Are Scientists over the phone. If you ever go to their gig, try your best to meet them. Why? My friends and I were stuck in traffic for more or less 3 hours, missing their meet and greet session, I told Keith this, and for some reason he kept apologizing. It was sweet, but I told him that he shouldn't apologize because it wasn't his fault.

Blood Red Shoes
Blood Red Shoes

Blood Red Shoes were the second act I saw. They opened with It Is Happening Again, and boy, it was a GREAT start. I'll be honest, I wasn't too familiar with their newer songs at the time, so I was a bit disappointed when they didn't play more of their older songs. But when they started playing Light It Up, it was full of screams when it came to the chorus - definitely the best part of the gig. They mentioned the fact that because of the high voltage of the stage, Laura could've died. It was scary, but fortunately, the show went smoothly overall. Oh, and at the end Steven stood on the drums -- it was nerve-wrecking to look at. It seemed like the drums would fall any second.


The same problem emerged with Blood Red Shoes' crowd. My friend told me this guy who was next to us (we were in the second row) who actually said to his friend that "their songs sound the same". Firstly, this might be true, but you do not say this when you're in the second row watching them. May I emphasize about him being in the second row further? There are actual fans of the band who deserve that spot more than him. Which brings me to the dad and daughter in front of me who were of course, in the FRONT row, who didn't even know their songs. When people were jumping, the dad gave 'a look', and for the entire show, they were either just standing there holding on the fence and took pictures of themselves. I mean, come on, he was even commenting on my friend who was screaming and singing along. Dude, this is a fucking gig. gtfo.

I think this turned into a semi-rant haha. Woops.