Sunday, September 20, 2015

Go Listen #2

Welp, it's been ages since I've posted anything on this blog, but luckily, that doesn't mean I've stopped listening to music. Although this past summer was filled with multiple shows each month, and some new artists have come into my radar, there's a feeling that I've 'plateau-d' in terms of finding more innovative and/or exciting music, or maybe the music scene has actually been pretty stale lately. Following the genres of my previous 'Go Listen' post, I found myself listening to mainly electronic and hip-hop figures. Now that I am 21, it's about time that I get into EDM before hitting the House music phase.

Ryan Hemsworth - ☺RYANPACKv.2☺

Ugh. Ryan Hemsworth. bb ryry. The Toronto-based electronic producer has gained a large following for his quirky personality-infused tunes, which is honestly so likeable because of its genuine and light-hearted qualities. Remixing old school pop-punk songs like Sum 41's "In Too Deep," the mixtape also includes more current artists like 6ix god Drake. Topped with a parody album cover of Hemsworth's head on Blink 182's self-titled album, it is safe to say that he might not be the most innovative producer out there, but it's certainly a nice change of scenery when someone doesn't take himself too seriously, especially when there are so many try-hards in this specific genre.
 

Run The Jewels - Get It

These guys are my latest obsession. Run The Jewels are American rappers Killer Mike and El-P. I don't think I've ever heard hip-hop/rap music like this. With such abrasive and punchy beats, alongside Killer Mike's and El-P's unique and engaging vocals, it would be understandable if you are instantly hooked. Although this is my current favorite track from them, their entire Run The Jewels LP, released in 2013, is definitely worth checking out because every track is amazingly produced and sonically explosive.



Drake - "Hotline Bling" & "Back To Back Freestyle"

If you had told me a year ago that I would be putting an artist like Drake on my blog, I would laugh at you. But the time has come, and I have succumbed to the Toronto treasure. Despite his huge ego, which makes him much more amusing, his stuff is actually pretty damn good. As the 6ix god recently dominated the world with his incredibly catchy tune "Hotline Bling," which premiered on his Apple Music Radio show, the track itself is light and swift and flows with some pretty sentimental lyrics. Listen here. On the other hand, "Back To Back" is one of Drake's diss tracks after Meek Mill accused him for using ghostwriters, and honestly, he destroyed Meek with this one.